Saturday, May 19, 2007

If you can't beat 'em enjoy 'em -- or not.


Our "lawn" is made up almost entirely of dandelions, creeping Charlie and clover with just a little grass to round it out. And recently we are trying to get rid of the dandelions to make way for more grass. We believe in living organically so this means we are hand weeding out each dandelion plant. I had heard that dandelions were edible. In fact, I had heard that dandelions were brought here(to America) as a food source(someone please correct me if I am wrong). So the wheels started turning in my head. Dandelions are edible. We are harvesting an almost endless supply of them. Why not eat them? I went online and looked up recipes. I came across several that looked promising. There were recipes for fritters, pancakes, salads and cooked "greens." I decided I would start by trying a salad recipe. It all started so well. And it looked so beautiful. But really it was awful. The dandelions are just too bitter. In fact, we made a gallant effort but I still threw half of it out. So next I was going to try cooking the leaves like greens, i.e. collards, but I just lost heart. I think I am giving up on eating dandelions. It just doesn't seem worth the effort to eat something so, well, yucky.

1 comment:

Mom K said...

Maybe California dandelions taste better - you can try next week. :-)