Saturday, April 21, 2007

Church-y Sloppy Joes and Three Bean Salad

Today we had a church event and so I cooked Sloppy Joes in the crockpot from an internet recipe. Since moving to the Midwest I have rediscovered this meal. I think the last time I had a Sloppy Joe(before moving to the Midwest) was when I was 8 years old. In fact, I have to admit the first time I had it here I privately chuckled, thinking, "Who eats Sloppy Joes in this day and age?" But this homey classic is alive and well in middle America. It is the meal of choice for church gatherings and events like moving to a new house. It also appears at the auctions we like to frequent. Another variation of this is the Maid Rite sandwich. This type of sandwich can also be called a "loose meat" sandwich, which also warranted a little chuckle from me. I laugh but I am more than willing to eat and make these because they just are good and, well, homey. To accompany the Sloppy Joes I made Three Bean Salad from a Joy of Cooking recipe. I will post the recipes for both of these but for right now I am tired from cooking and entertaining so another day...

No comments: