Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hooray for Thai Food!

While picking up my mother from the airport yesterday I noticed a Thai/Cambodian Restaurant and since my mother arrived right at dinner time I decided we should give it a try. Thai food is one of my favorite cuisines but in the Midwest it is amazingly hard to find. When we lived in Chicago our favorite restaurant was a small Thai place but we essentially haven't eaten it since we moved to the rural Midwest. I do cook a pretty good red curry and a passable Pad Thai but nothing like the real stuff. It has been 3+ years since I have eaten Thai.

This Thai place turned out to be excellent. We ordered the dinner special which was Thai Attiya(spicy chicken with sweet peppers and bamboo shoots), Hot and Sour soup, an egg roll and a couple of Crab Rangoon. In addition, we ordered a meatball noodle soup and Larb(spicy chicken salad).

My test for good Asian food is Hot and Sour soup. This soup can be either wonderful or terrible. What we ordered was really good with a nice homemade quality to it and fresh taste(and lots of black pepper). This was a good omen for the food to come. The appetizers were next and were good but what stands out is the sauce they came with. My husband likes standard sweet and sour sauce but I really don't. It is always too syrupy for me. But this time it was just slightly sweet with a nice complex flavor. It might be the first time I have liked this type of sauce. Next came the Larb salad. I can't get it out of my head because it was so good. It was so fragrant with lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves. And, wow, was it spicy, tangy and flavorful. The spicy chicken and peppers was also good. The noodle soup with meatballs was reminiscent of Pho and served with my favorite; fresh vegetables: sweet basil, sprouts and hot peppers. The meatballs were really chewy and dense and tasty.

Overall very good Thai food. I will be back soon. I just wish I remembered the name. But no matter I wont forget where it is.

There would be pictures but the camera is broken. Pray for a serendipitous replacement for future blogging. For now I will rely on words.

1 comment:

Mom K said...

I love your insights! There's a new Thai restaurant right on Calle Real now that you'll have to try when you come visit Santa Barbara in June. Have fun with your mom.