Sunday, April 1, 2007

Hummus

I have been feeling uninspired the last few days in terms of the culinary arts. However, even when I feel uninspired we all still get hungry. So one of my main fall backs is Hummus. Here it is pictured with some spices: paprika, cumin and turmeric. To go with it I made Greek Stuffing for Pita out of La Leche League's Whole Foods for the Whole Family, which has also become a staple recipe for us. It has tons of oregano and mint. Yum!

So one of my secrets for Hummus is to cook my own garbanzo beans but I don't love cooking beans on the stove. So I make them in the Crockpot. This is so easy. Just put beans and water (usually around a 1-3 ratio or 1-4) then cook on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. I have heard some say that beans are creamier if you cook them via the stove but really this is about 10 times easier and if there is a difference it is minimal. Also I never pre-soak beans. No matter what my mother says I really don't think they need it:) Though I disagree with my mom on pre-soaking, I learned a very valuable trick from her in regards to garlic. I like garlic but raw it has too much bite for me. So what my mother does is macerates the garlic with salt. In others words chop/smash it up with salt and then let it sit for a couple minutes. It takes away the harshness. When you do this you will notice that the garlic changes consistency a little bit it gets kind of(I hesitate to use this word but..) gelatinous.

I don't use a recipe for Hummus but when I make it these are the ingredients:

Garbanzo beans (canned or home cooked)
Tahini (or sometimes I use toasted sesame seeds)
Olive Oil and lots of it (you can even drizzle some on at the end)
Garlic
Lemon Juice
Salt
Spices: Cumin, Cayenne or Paprika or whatever strikes your fancy

Hummus is so versatile. I made some Chipotle Hummus this time. My friend Molly brought me over some her husband made with Kalamata Olives. You can use sun-dried tomatoes, cilantro, basil... the possibilities are endless.

Later this week I will post a blog featuring my friend Vyd's Italian Ex-Boyfriend's Mother's Tiramisu. Maybe I better get her permission in the meantime :)

No comments: