Thursday, April 5, 2007

Tiramisu Part 2 - My Little Mocha


My friend Vyd has lived abroad several times including a stint in Italy. She is always great about sending little gifts from the places she visits. The Mocha(or Moka) was one of these gifts(although not the Mocha pictured - this is one I got at IKEA - I let someone borrow the original). The Mocha is a small personal espresso maker with 3 sections. The bottom section is filled with water. The middle section is packed with finely ground espresso and then you screw on the top and put it on the burner on Medium-Low. As the water heats up it passes through the espresso and into the top section. It is essentially a tiny percolator. You know it is done when it stops making noise. It makes about enough for one large espresso or Latte. You have to be a little careful not to put the heat too high or let it go too long or the espresso gets a burnt taste.

I used the Mocha to make espresso for my Tiramisu. And I have to be honest here. I just use finely ground regular coffee in my Mocha. It seems to work just fine. I used about 3 Mochas worth of espresso for this recipe.

No comments: