Monday, April 2, 2007

Pineapple, Peach and Cream Cheese Salad


"The fruit salad gives the hostess a wonderful chance to be decorative. That is why it makes such a fine choice for party refreshment." So says Marye Dahnke in her Salad Book circa 1954. This is just a ring of pineapple topped with a peach half and filled with whipped cream cheese. I had it for breakfast this morning and it was quite good. I am always looking for ways to increase our fruit and veggie consumption. And because it is April in Iowa, there is not a whole lot of good fresh fruit. This makes a nice winter(or spring) fruit salad. I really enjoyed the salty cream cheese with the sweet fruit. I did drizzle a tiny bit of honey over the top but I don't think it needed it. The author of the cookbook suggests a vinaigrette as the topping for this but it did not appeal to me. My mom says they used to top fruit with mayonnaise and that it was good but I don't know how I feel about that. I guess someday I will have to give it a try.

Recently I have been trying to sit down and have a substantial breakfast rather than just picking at food all morning. I have liked it and this salad made a nice addition to my eggs and toast and coffee.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Summer, I can tell I'm going to enjoy this blog very much. I hope you are able to keep it going. I am not a cooking lover like you, but I love to get ideas from others, and I know you are full of them!