Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Asian Store Finds

Over the weekend I went to the closest Asian Store I can find, which is 70+ miles away. I venture there periodically to stock up on Asian food. We particularly like Wah King Chinese noodles and fresh rice noodles. Also this is where I get dried shitake mushrooms, soy sauce, bamboo shoots and other sauces. The prices are always so reasonable. In addition to our usual items we picked up a couple of noteworthy things. Our favorite new item was "Peanuts Coffee Flavor Coated." This was literally peanuts covered in a coffee flavored shell. The unique thing about it was that it was right in between a salty and a sweet snack. It leaned towards being a salty snack. This was my first experience with anything salty flavored with coffee. It was really quite good.

The other new thing I purchased was mock chicken in a can. Near where my parents live in Seattle there is a Chinese restaurant that is completely vegetarian. You can order chicken, beef or fish but it is all vegetarian and it is really tasty. So when I saw this at the store I had to get it. We have not tried it yet but I will post our thoughts on it when we do. I got mock chicken and duck. It is made of fried gluten. I think it is similar to seitan.

I also got a dark soy sauce which I had not used before. It is thicker and with a more meaty flavor than regular soy sauce.

No comments: