Sunday, April 1, 2007

My First Jewish Seder Dinner




I was invited by an Israeli friend to participate in a symbolic Seder dinner. The dinner commemorates God's deliverance of the Jewish people from slavery in Egypt. I had hoped to get several photos but I think our camera is broken so I was only able to get a couple. The picture above is of Matzo Ball Soup. The other picture is of kosher grape juice on the table. I had a lot of fun at this event. I got to help out in the kitchen a little. It has been so long since I have worked in a commercial kitchen(the dinner was held at our local coffee shop). I used to get to do this regularly. I have had several jobs that involved cooking or catering type work. I used to work for a Greek restaurant that catered Persian food(the owners were Persians). And for a summer I worked as a personal vegan chef for an English family, who ironically were beef cattle ranchers. And I have had several receptionist jobs that included catering projects. I really do enjoy working with food.

The Seder dinner began with the lighting of the festival lights. Then everyone drank a glass of juice(this happens 4 times during the dinner). Then the leader of the dinner did a ritual handwashing. On the plate in front of us was parsley, bitter herbs(horseradish), haroset(a mixture of nuts, apples and wine), and a roasted egg. On the table was a stack of unleavened bread(matzo) and salt water. There is no leavening in the entire meal. Leaven symbolizes sin which infiltrates all parts of life, like the leaven infiltrates the whole bread. So the meal is served without leaven.

The first thing we ate was the parsley which symbolized life and vitality but first we dipped it in salt water to symbolize the tears that were shed under slavery, and the tears that are part of our human experience. Then we ate the bitter herb as a reminder that life is sometimes very bitter. Next we ate the sweet apple mixture, which is a symbol of the mortar which the Israelites used to make bricks for Pharaoh. It is eaten with some of the bitter herb and matzoh to remind us that even the most bitter part of life is sweetened by hope in God.

Next came the roasted egg which is a symbol to the Jewish people of mourning, a reminder of the destruction of the second temple. After that there is a lamb bone to represent the paschal lamb that was sacrificed to spare the children of Israel from death. Then we ate the matzoh and talked about leavening and sin and God's provision of bread. Next the children participated by asking the older people questions about the ceremony. Then the story of Passover is told. After that we dropped ten droplets of wine on our plates to remember the ten plagues and those that suffered. Then we drank again and gave thanks. Then the real(non-symbolic) eating began.

The meal was really great. It started with matzoh ball soup. Then we had chicken marinated in wine, soy sauce and garlic(and maybe white pepper). There was also a beef stew with raisins and potatoes. Served with this was a beautiful rice dish with raisins and almonds. Then there were sides of peppers and onions and sweet carrots. Overall a really enjoyable and meaningful meal.

I had to leave before dessert was served but I got a bite on the way out the door. It was really delicious cake. I think I will have to get all these recipes from my friend. The only problem is that they will have to be translated from Hebrew:)

I will end with a poem about Israel:

The Spring at Tel Dan

the air is cool
with the scent of fig trees
cool and sweet
next to me the sound of water
the spring of dan
i have sat here for three thousand years
and died and been reborn here
and yet spring perpetual,
you endlessly pour forth
your song
even in years of drought
you keep the fig trees
sweet and green
a shadow sweet and green over me
i have felt the waters of dan
tasted the manna in famine
the water in drought
and my mouth is full of honey
my body clothed
with the shadow of fig trees
and my lungs filled with this sweet breath

No comments: